Welcome to HomeTechs Carpet Pros!
Posted on February 18, 2018
Who Is The Best Carpet Cleaning Company in Sacramento CA?
Sacramento Carpet Cleaning methods are not all the same. In fact, there are many different ways to clean various types of carpet. What many people do not understand is that carpet fibers are not all made the same, so certain types of carpet will require a different type of cleaning method. Certain cleansers may also be harmful for some carpet fibers while they work wonders for other types. It is important to complete preliminary research before having just any carpet cleaning company in Sacramento CA come to a home and clean the carpet with whatever method they feel like using without regard to what is best for the carpet.
Call Today for a FREE Quote! (916) 706-3211
To keep informed, it is probably a good idea to learn about a few of the different carpet cleaning methods in California and how they work. Below are a few different carpet cleaning methods:
1. Shampooing a Carpet - Typically this seems to be the least effective method on any carpet. What occurs during a carpet shampooing is that formulated detergents are applied directly to the carpet and then the professional carpet cleaners will use a machine that agitates the cleanser. Then they will use a vacuum to extract the cleanser and make the carpet look very clean. The detergents used are formulated to make the carpet seem bright and smell nice. However, it does little more any caked on dirt deep down in the pad of the carpet. So if the main purpose of a carpet cleaning for a home is to make it look nice, maybe for a special occasion where a lot of people will be walking around so the carpet will need to be cleaned again anyway, shampooing can be the right choice. However, for health and wellness reasons, it is typically not the top choice.
2. Dry Carpet Cleaning - Most people recommend the dry cleaning method over any other. It is certainly helpful since there is little to no down time since the carpet will not need to dry for a long period of time as is necessary with other methods. Most of the time, using a special cleaning powder completes the process. It is sprinkled all over the carpet and it will automatically start attracting dirt. After it has stayed on the carpet an appropriate amount of time to absorb, it is then sucked up by a vacuum, leaving the carpet almost as good as new. A few carpet cleaning companies have made modifications to this method with different cleansers, such as an oxygenated cleanser. This method works well too, because although it may make the carpet wet just briefly, the oxygenated bubbles help lift dirt out of the base of the carpet, allowing it to be cleaned up even more effectively.
3. Foam Carpet Cleaning - This method is also very useful. It basically takes a little bit of the shampoo method and then combines it with the dry cleaning method. A cleansing foam and a small amount of water are applied to the carpet. The cleansing foam is also designed to attract dirt dust and harmful fibers like the powder in a dry cleaning method does. It works its way through the carpet and then the foam, along with all the dirt and dust particles it has collected are extracted from the carpet. This method works best of tougher carpet due to the nature of the foam as well as the vacuum.
4. Steam Carpet Cleaning - Steam carpet cleaning is probably one of the most well known cleaning methods and is also used often by Sacramento Carpet Cleaners. It does have its disadvantages though because it uses an awful lot of water. When the water soaks deep down into the pad of the carpet, it can damage it so severely that the carpet may need to be replaced. However, if steam cleaning is done properly, and not too frequently, it can be effective. It is also known as "Hot water extraction" and basically it works by having a very powerful machine put a hot water and cleanser solution deep down into the carpet. Then the machine will extract the cleanser with a powerful suction. All of this will most likely get the most dirt out of the carpet, however, it may cause the carpet damage over time. It also means the carpet will be wet for a while, so do not use this method as a quick fix, since there is nothing quick about it.
The Hot Water Extraction (HWE) method, is a method used in chemistry for extraction and for "steam cleaning". The pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) process uses a combination of high water pressure for agitation, and hot water to increase reaction rate.
Though commonly called "Steam Cleaning", no actual steam is involved in the HWE cleaning process, apart from steam that may escape incidentally from hot water. When the cleaning solution comes in contact with the carpet/rug, it is anywhere between 50-120 degrees Celsius, according to the heat available from the cleaning unit. For instance, in a modern truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, water can be heated under pressure to 150+ degrees Celsius, but after passing through high pressure steel braided hose and several manifolds, the water loses much of its heat.
The typical cleaning method involves a preconditioning of the soiled surface with an alkaline (7 or above on the pH Scale) agent, followed by light agitation with a grooming brush and appropriate dwell time. Next, the surface is passed over several times with a cleaning tool (either manual or automatic) to thoroughly rinse out the pre-conditioner and, using an acetic acid solution, lower the pH of the fibres to a neutral state. Finally, the surface is dried sufficiently to avoid any possibility of saturation.
Hot Water Extraction Machines
Professional machines range from portable machines, which use electricity to heat the water and power the water pump and vacuum motors, to larger truck mounted machines. Truck mounts are normally stationary gas/diesel engine or PTO powered machines installed in a van or truck. The portable machine is able to access difficult to reach buildings and high story floors, while the truck mount's advantages are its power to heat the water and power of vacuum and faster cleaning and drying times. DIY and rental machines use some of the technology from the professional systems, but with less power and usually without an element to heat water (filling the unit with hot water is advised) the results are limited; these units are not typically called HWE systems.
5. Bonnet Carpet Cleaning - This method is mostly used for commercial buildings due to the amount of carpet inside of them. It is not meant to be incredibly effective, since commercial buildings experience so much traffic anyway. Basically this method will keep the carpets looking fresh and clean, even though some dirt and dust may still be lurking under the surface. A chemical detergent is applied to the carpet and then a rotary machine is equipped with an absorbent pad and then worked across the carpet.
Dry Cleaning vs Professional Hot Water Extraction Carpet Cleaning
A carpet cleaning service can help you keep your carpets looking new and lasting longer. Carpeting is by far the most popular floor covering in homes and should last for a decade or more if properly cared for (Part of that carpet care involves a regular cleaning by a carpet cleaning service).
The reason a professional cleaning service is important is that even if you vacuum your carpet regularly, you still cannot get at the dirt that has settled down into the fibers. This dirt is a problem because it can damage the base of the fibers in your carpet and lead to premature wear and stains over time. Even the most powerful residential vacuums available can only reach dirt slightly below the surface.
Having a professional carpet steam cleaning for your carpets once or twice a year will remove this deep-seated dirt and help you avoid damage to the fibers. Steam cleaning can remove this dirt through a combination of heat and powerful vacuuming.
The heat of the steam helps to loosen the dirt by breaking down the adhesive that allows it to cling to the fibers.
Once this adhesive has been neutralized, it can be pulled out of the fibers by a powerful vacuum and removed. A residential carpet cleaning service will normally use a steam cleaning machine that combines the application of the steam and the vacuuming in one step and will leave your carpets looking new.
Most of these companies can also help you with pet odor removal and upholstery cleaning as well as other specialties like delicate Oriental rug cleaning.
Often you can get a better price if you have a few of these services done in the same visit. To keep your carpets in the best shape possible, schedule a professional cleaning at least once a year from a carpet cleaning service in your area.
Need Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA? Call Today! (916) 706-3211
There is plenty of debate out there about steam carpet cleaning vs chemical carpet cleaning. The two systems perform different functions. Both techniques offer pros and cons, and being educated about both systems can help you make a decision on which one is right for you.
The term "steam carpet cleaning" would lead you to believe that no chemicals are used, only steam. This is not the case. Steam cleaning requires vast amounts of water from a truck mounted or rented machine. The user goes over an area with a mixture of water and chemicals, and then covers the area again using the machine to suck up the water.
This is the only system that can claim to lift stubborn stains and dirt as well as reach the bottom, or pile, layer of carpeting. If you have high traffic areas or stubborn stains on your carpets this may be the only reason you need to choose steam carpet cleaning versus chemical carpet cleaning as your best option. The drying time is shorter than with other wet methods, because the suction of the machine removes the water and the lack of water in the carpet decreases drying time.
Chemical cleaning is a process that is also referred to as dry cleaning. It should be noted that it is not dry but does use 80% less water than the other method. The upside of this is a return to your area quickly. It is also worth mentioning that mold and mildew are not likely to grow in a quick dry application with this method. The fast drying time is probably the biggest benefit to chemical cleaning. The downside of this method is that it is unable to agitate the bottom layer, and therefore, resistant stains that are deep in the carpet may end up remaining behind. Also, the chemicals used could possibly be left behind in the form of residue and attract more dirt to high traffic areas.
The bottom line is that the steam carpet cleaning versus chemical carpet cleaning is a personal choice that is best decided after identifying your needs. If you need a fast-drying solution and do not have really deep stains, chemical cleaning may be for you. It you have deep stains and can wait a bit for drying, go with steam cleaning instead. Either of these cleaning methods will ensure you have a clean and fresh looking house.
So it is clear that not all carpet cleaning methods in Sacramento CA are the same. Now that the different methods are clearly outlined, it's time to figure out which one will work best in your own home. Choose wisely, as different methods will affect different types of carpet in various ways.